Friday, August 31, 2012

The Tourist Photo Post (1 of many)


Manageesh with Zatter
Yesterday for breakfast we had something called manageesh (a phonetic spelling). We went to some hole in the wall---literally a recessed alcove in the front of a building, with a table and oil fryer in front and a stone oven inside---where they bake a type of bread that looks and tastes a bit like pizza dough. The bread is called gobst and they cover it with zatter, a mixture of olive oil, sesame seeds and thyme, and the combination is manageesh. It was so good and so messy and so cheap that we stuffed ourselves on the bus, and have eaten it for every meal since. The hole-in-the-wall also had fresh falafel that we got to watch being made. The cook was so fast and efficient and the falafel was beyond tasty.



The Archetypal Herd of Goats
Since we were riding on the bus, I didn't get too many opportunities to take photos until we got to the oasis, but I saw a herd of goats in the distance and made sure I got my camera ready for when we passed. I love this photo, and I love goats. Dr. Heidi keeps tempting me with the possibility for a donkey and/or camel ride when we go to Petra, but I don't know if it's going to happen, so for now I have to satisfy myself with goat pictures taken from a bus.

Jordan is also home to Bedouin tribes, and we saw a lot of tents near Azraq. What I found interesting was that a lot of the tents had satellite dishes in front of them. Near the center of the photo below, you can see the dish.
A Bedouin Tent with Satellite Dish because TV is Important

No comments:

Post a Comment